Microsoft Corp. announced new capabilities that further simplify the customer journey and deliver highly secured IoT solutions. These solutions help customers embrace IoT as a core strategy to drive better business outcomes, improve safety and address social issues by predicting and preventing equipment failures, optimizing smart buildings for space utilization and energy management, improving patient outcomes and worker safety, tracking assets across a supply chain, and more.
The proliferation of IoT devices is enabling companies to bring cloud intelligence to the edge, to create solutions that are adaptive and responsive to their environments. According to IDC,1 41.6 billion devices — including smartphones, smart home assistants and smart appliances — will be connected to the internet by 2025. Even sooner, by 2021, 94% of businesses surveyed will be using IoT, according to a recent Microsoft IoT Signals research report and, in nearly every case (97%), those companies are concerned about potential security risks.
“At Microsoft, we are committed to building a trusted, easy-to-use platform that allows our customers and partners to build seamless, smart, secure solutions regardless of where they are in the IoT journey,” said Sam George, CVP of Azure IoT at Microsoft. “That’s why we are investing $5B in IoT and intelligent edge — technology that is accelerating ubiquitous computing and bringing unparalleled opportunity across industries.”
Delivering new IoT innovations from cloud to edge
Our core focus is addressing the challenge of securing connected devices at every layer while advancing IoT to create a seamless experience between the physical and digital worlds. In the past year, we launched more than 100 new services and features that make IoT solutions more secure and scalable, reduce complexity, and create opportunities in new market areas.
Making IoT seamless
IoT Central is a fully managed IoT app platform that provides solution builders with built-in security, scale, and extensibility needed to develop enterprise-grade IoT solutions. New features to IoT Central simplify challenges of building and deploying scalable and affordable enterprise applications:
- 11 new industry-focused application templates to accelerate solution builders across retail, healthcare, government, and energy.
- API support for extending IoT Central or integrating it with other solutions, including API support for device modeling, provisioning, lifecycle management, operations, and data querying.
- IoT Edge support, including management for edge devices and IoT Edge module deployments, which enable customers to deploy cloud workloads, including AI, directly to connected devices.
- IoT Plug and Play support, for rapid device development and connectivity.
- The ability to Save & Load applications to enable application reusability.
- More Data Export options for continually exporting data to other Azure PaaS services, such as storage for rich analytics.
- Multitenancy support for building and managing a single application with multiple tenants, each with their own isolated data, devices, users, and roles. And updates to that single application are visible to all tenants for easy manageability.
- Custom user roles for fine-grained access control to data, actions, and configurations in the system.
- The new pricing model for early 2020, designed to help customers and partners have predictable pricing as usage scales.