Leading cloud communication platform provider for IoT, EMnify, today announces global roaming of LTE-M – a 3GPP standard for Low Power Wide Area Networks (LPWAN) built on 4G networks and forward compatible with 5G.
With this launch, EMnify is adding LTE-M support to its current 2G, 3G, and 4G network access, providing a future-proof connectivity option for cellular IoT in answer to worldwide GSM and UMTS phase-out.
LTE-M introduces unique advantages for global IoT deployments, including:
- Long battery life with Power Save Mode (PSM) and Extended Discontinuous Reception (eDRX) features.
- Extended range for improved indoor and underground connections.
- Low-cost modules that are only 30% of 4G module price.
Compared to NB-IoT – the other cellular LPWAN variance – LTE-M offers wider national and international roaming availability. The technology also comes with excellent mobility support and higher data rates to enable a wider range of connected use cases such as asset tracking and fleet management.
Faster data speed further reduces power consumption in medium-bandwidth transmission like over-the-air firmware updates, as devices stay online for a much shorter time.
Alexander Schebler, VP Carrier Relations and Co-Founder at EMnify, explains: “We recognize LTE-M is the go-to connectivity for a variety of IoT applications because it allows for innovative features not available with previous cellular generations while solving the challenge of 2G/3G sunsetting in regions like North America. To deliver these benefits to customers, we are proactively working with our network partners to enable LTE-M roaming as soon as it is technically available in their networks.”
As of today, EMnify offers LTE-M access in 45 countries with varying support levels depending on the customer’s deployment location, including:
- Expected coverage where LTE-M access is technically available by default based on standard 4G implementation of EMnify’s network partners.
- Validated coverage where LTE-M availability is frequently tested and confirmed by EMnify’s internal tests.
- Guaranteed coverage where LTE-M service is guaranteed via official roaming agreements with EMnify’s network partners.
EMnify empowers IoT businesses with a single SIM card for global cellular and LPWAN connectivity in 180 countries, along with a pay-as-you-go subscription model that can start at small data volumes under 1 MB.
In addition to the new LTE-M launch, the company is also working on NB-IoT and 5G roaming with first agreements already signed, to ensure customers have the best access to the latest radio technologies.